Monday, July 21, 2014

Read This F@!%ing Book! (17)



Welcome to a feature I'm going to post on Mondays called:

Read This F@!%ing Book!

This is a feature for me to push my favorite reads that just aren't getting enough attention! 

I'm also opening it up to anyone who would like to guest post. Do you have a book that you just LURVED but feel like its not getting the play it deserves? Email me to let me know and I'd be THRILLED to have you post about it here! Especially if its something I haven't reviewed yet - that's even better (but not necessary)! If you're interested email me:
Goldilox3weres@hotmail.com

This week's post comes from our very own: 
Rose Red!

Read This F@!%ing Book Post 17: Dark Mission Series
(Click book cover to go to Goodreads page)
Blood of the Wicked (Dark Mission, #1) Lure of the Wicked (Dark Mission, #2)
All Things Wicked (Dark Mission #3) Sacrifice the Wicked One for the Wicked (Dark Mission, #5)



Why I love it:

The story takes place in a post-apocalyptic Seattle, where witches have been accused of destroying the world with a series of earthquakes, tsunamis and all types of natural disasters. Now, the witches are running from witch hunters and the world isn’t the same as before.

The world building in this book is freaking fantastic! Everything is dirty, gritty, dangerous, and falling apart. But yet everything was kept in such a way that it wasn’t too over-the-top and melodramatic. The society that springs up in response to this global apocalypse makes complete sense when you look at their logic about how they think the “end of the world” came about.

The characters are an interesting mix of witches, witch sympathizers, and witch hunters and it provides a quite interesting conflict of views and questioning of several of the characters beliefs.


Why I'm pushing it:

This series is a hidden gem. It completely flabbergasts me that Karina Cooper’s work isn’t more popular. But I guess that’s a puzzle to solve another time. One great thing about this series is that all the books are out. You can marathon them all and not have to wait.

This world and the society that has formed in it has me completely fascinated and I find myself picking up the series up again and again so I can re-experience it. The cultural implications of this society has given rise to an interesting mix of characters with different personalities. This series also adds some great diversity to the urban fantasy/paranormal romance genre. There are different sexual orientations and ethnicities as well as characters that you’re not going to immediately like. They are living in a world that has gone to hell so you can expect more than one of them to be a bit rough around the edges.


The Complexity!


What I love most about this series, besides the world building, is that the characters are constantly evolving and changing to fit the new circumstances they find themselves in. They find hope and love in a very dark world with a twisted society. I found myself deeply invested in their welfare and hoping for everything to work out. Some of the plot twists had me going “What the Hell?” but in a good way.

If you love a gritty paranormal romance, I’d highly recommend pick this series up!



Have you read this book?
Did we persuade you to add it to your TBR mountain?
Let us know in the comments below!



2 comments:

  1. I binge-read this series last year. I liked the idea of the upper and lower worlds (which Cooper also uses in the St. Croix Chronicles) that put the magic users underground both literally and figuratively. And there are some great characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! It always makes my heart happy when I find someone else who has read the series!

      Delete

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...