Friday, October 23, 2015

Really Short Reviews: Dark Kings #4-5 by Donna Grant

The Really Short Reviews of the books in the Dark Kings series continues with the next three books! Things are getting exciting, y'all! I loved them. I loved them so hard. Such amazing book crack! Like some serious book crack. I couldn't put them down once I started them. I'm officially caught up until the next book comes out next month and the wait may kill me! Seriously. Things are starting to go down finally! Just a reminder: If you haven't read anything by Donna Grant, don't start with this series! I would recommend picking up her Dark Sword books and the Dark Warriors spin-off series before starting this one to avoid spoiling both of those series. Have you started this any of these series yet???

Warning: These reviews are for the fourth and fifth books of this series. There may be spoilers so scroll down at your own risk.


Hot Blooded
(Dark Kings #4)
Donna Grant
Release: December 30, 2014
Goodreads Amazon

I was super excited for this book because we finally get to know more about Laith who runs the pub in town for the Dragon Kings. He is one of my favorites. 

Iona has come back to Scotland to bury her father after her mother took her away twenty years before. She is struggling to reconcile the what her mother has told her about her father and who he actually was. Her distance from him has left her clueless to the job her family has helped the Dragon Kings with for centuries.

Laith's resistance to being the one to help Iona is understandable. He feels something for the beautiful photographer but he doesn't want to get pulled into the whole mate thing like the other Kings. But Iona is showing a preference to him and Con is pushing more and more for him to be the one to introduce her to their world so she can take over protecting the Campbell land.

As with the other ladies of this series, Iona proves to be a lot stronger and more capable than these dragons give them credit for. Iona holds up pretty damn well considering all the news that just keeps coming at her from the time she reaches Scotland. When the crap starts to hit the fan and the dragons finally see what they are up against, they will call on their allies for help. I loved seeing the Warriors again in this book! After reading Iona's last name, I was hoping that there was a connection to one of the Warriors. It was a nice touch!
 

This book also sets things up for the next one. One of the Dragon Kings is in a bad spot. His story is next and after all he has been suffering through, I can't wait to see how he comes out at the end of this. Another character I was dying to know more about makes an appearance, and the difference in this person, and what they are struggling with just mystifies me. I can't wait to see what direction that person is going to go!

   
  4 /5 Stars



Night's Blaze
(Dark Kings #5)
Donna Grant
Release: March 31, 2015

Guys! This is my favorite book in this series so far! I've been dying for this one since Burning Desire because I needed to know what was going to happen to Rhys! Not to mention, I've been waiting several books for him to finally admit that he's attracted to the shy Lily.

Night’s Blaze was hard to read because you could just feel how hard not being able to shift was affecting Rhys. He's in a bad spot mentally since he's been unable to help his fellow Dragon Kings in battle. So he steps away from Dreagan and hides from the world until Rhi shows up and convinces him that he's need not only by the Kings but by Lily as well.

Lily's backstory is heartbreaking and terrifying. It has left behind scars both physical as well as emotional. I love that she escaped the hell she was in and I'm glad she got to start a new life when she started working for Dreagan. Her job working at the distillery's gift shop is what gives her stability, hope, and the chance she needed to find who she is again. Unfortunately, the past rears its ugly head and becomes a stumbling block in her endeavor to build a new life.

I loved Lily and Rhys together. Unlike t
he other couples, they have known each other already for awhile so their relationship is past the attraction stage already. There's been some serious sexual tension between the two for several books so we all knew they destined to be mates. It's very evident from the get go that they need each other and I loved watching their relationship develop from the first.

Donna Grant never ceases to amaze me. I never saw most of this book coming.
The last half was one hell of a roller coaster ride. I can't even begin to contemplate what's going to happen next and I'm dying to know! Hell, so much I thought I'd gotten from the previous books just got turned on its head.
Night's Blaze is definitely the book which changes the whole series from here on out.
 

Also, if something doesn't change about that last scene, I'll be highly disappointed and angry. I already about threw my kindle across the room when I read it. Fingers crossed that things change and quickly.

   1/2
  4.5 / 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...