Thursday, June 23, 2016

Weres Wanna Know: Should I be listening to audiobooks?

Weres Wanna Know is a new discussion feature where we share a topic that's been on our minds and invite you to share your thoughts as well. We usually post them on Fridays but we've got something special in store tomorrow so I'm doing it a little bit early this week.



I might be the only person in the whole world who has never listened to an audiobook. I know all the cool kids are doing it, but I've never been interested. I don't understand why you'd want to take twice as long to finish the book unless it was some special situation like a road trip (or, you know, blindness.)

 But a few weeks ago I went on a binge and read four books in three days. (No way you could do that with audiobooks, right?) For a week afterward, I couldn't hold my iPad long enough to read my Twitter feed, much less another book, because of pain in my wrists. There went all that ground I made up on my Goodreads goal! And that got me thinking maybe it's time to give this audio thing a try.

Should I be listening to audiobooks?

 But I'm still hesitant because I don't know what I'm supposed to do while I listen. I don't have a long commute but even if I did, the car is the only place I really listen to music and I don't want to give that up. I could see drawing or knitting while listening, but both of those would be counterproductive if I'm trying to spare my wrists. And I'm not good at paying attention to two things at once. If I get on the internet during a commercial break, I don't always notice when the show comes back on. So am I just supposed to stare at the ceiling for three days while I listen to a book?

Somebody please explain this whole thing to me. What do you do while you're listening to audios? How does it change your reading experience? And if I were going to start, what books would you recommend?

Should I be listening to audiobooks?
What are your favorites?



If you have a topic you'd like to see discussed in a Weres Wanna Know post, let us know in the comments, send us a Facebook message, or email goldiloxandthethreeweres@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...