Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Top 5 Wednesday: Supernatural Creatures We'd Like to See More Often

Top 5 Wednesday is a Goodreads group hosted by Sam from Thoughts on Tomes. Bloggers, booktubers and bookstagrammers post on a common topic every (you guessed it) Wednesday. You can find the lists by searching #T5W or Top 5 Wednesday. And you can join the group on Goodreads if you want to participate.  


This Week's Topic is:
Supernatural Creatures We'd Like to See More Often

Instead of trying to do the impossible, like list our favorite shifters - because it's at least a three way tie, we decided to focus on some of the more obscure, under-represented supernaturals out there. Here are five that we'd like to see more often.

5. Gargoyles
We've seen a few gargoyle heroes in romance, but they're not at all common. I loved The Watchers in Secrets of Skin and Stone by Wendy Laine which are a twist on the traditional gargoyle myth. And we both enjoyed Stone Guardian by Danielle Monsch, which introduces a whole kingdom of gargoyles. But we love them and we want MOAR!

4. Succubi and Incubi
Souljacker by Yasmine Galenorn reminded me of Lost Girl in some ways and helped to fill the succubus-shaped void in my life. It also had me craving a reread of the Georgina Kincaid series by Richelle Mead which was both my first succubus and my first Mead experience.

The Demonica series by Larissa Ione has a ton of different types of demons working at Underworld General but the most interesting are the incubi and their offspring. Every incubus is part incubus and some other supe. It makes for some fascinating paranormal pairings.

3. Valkyries
Here's another hole the end of Lost Girl has left in my life! The Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole was the first series I can remember revolving around valkyries as one of the main supernatural creatures in a monster mash world. I've loved all of the books that focus on one of the New Orleans Valkyries. You can also get a little valkyrie fix from Sig who plays an increasingly large role in the Pax Arcana series by Elliot James as it progresses.


2. Kitsune 
I've seen a few kitsune in supporting roles - Suzume in the Generation V series by M.L. Brennan and Kyo in Richelle Mead's Dark Swan books are probably my faves - but I'd love to see one take the lead. Maybe like a grown up Inuyasha?

1. Djinn
I think that djinn may be a big trend soon. I feel like I'm starting to see them more often lately, though I haven't loved the last few djinn books I read. I do highly recommend Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton however. And if everyone would go out and buy Jinn and Juice by Nicole Peeler and tell all their friends about it I'd appreciate it. I would love to see a sequel to her Urban Fantasy about a djinn in modern day Pittsburgh. 

What Supernatural Creatures Do You Want to See More?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...